Resident Saved by Smoke Alarm In Residential Structure Fire Tuesday Evening.

File Photo, Not from Tuesdays Scene

File Photo, Not from Tuesdays Scene

Grays Harbor Fire District 5 was dispatched to a residential structure fire at 8:54 PM Tuesday June 26th, 2018.  The initial dispatch information stated that the calling party could see smoke and flames that appear to be coming from the living room of the 2 story residence in the 0 – 100 block of Hurd RD, just west of Elma. 

Elma Fire and  Fire District 2 were automatically requested for assistance through the mutual aid agreement.

On arrival fire crews found flames coming from one side of the residence, and smoke from another.  Power lines to the house were down on the ground and windows blown out due to heat and smoke.

According to the single occupant of the residence who had gotten out safely without injury she had gone to the kitchen to get something out of the fridge when she heard the smoke alarm going off in the living room area.  She noticed the fire and attempted to put it out but became overwhelmed.

The fire was reportedly out at 9:48 pm just a bit after an hour of the initial call.  Fire crews remained on scene until just after 3 AM mopping up, putting out hotspots and confirming the fire would remain out.  Firefighters had great difficulty fighting this fire due to the design of the structure and wall to wall items stacked throughout the residence.

American Red Cross was contacted and was said to be assisting the occupant of the residence in temporary housing and needs.

Responding apparatus 3 fire engines, 1 ambulance, 1 tender from Fire District 5.  Fire district 2 provided 2 tenders and 2 fire engines.  Elma Fire provided 1 engine and 1 rescue unit.  Large thanks to all the volunteers who responded from all agencies.