Accidental Fire Burns Cabin, Wildfire Prevented by Firefighters

vanlane.jpg

Grays Harbor Fire District 5 was dispatched to a structure fire near the 100 block of Van Lane in Porter Friday morning at 3:00 AM after the resident had fumes from gas ignite by a nearby pilot light while fueling a generator.

The cabin was reported to be fully involved and when firefighters arrived they found limited access to the cabin.  No vehicle access was located, only a footbridge across a creek.  Once getting across the creek the cabin was then up a 70-degree steep slope.

 Upon accessing the structure by foot, firefighters found and a 1000 Square foot Cabin fully involved.
Firefighters were assigned to work the immediate perimeter of the structure fire to control the risk of fire spreading to the nearby vegetation and trees until a progressive hose lay could be deployed

At 5:38 AM  with the work of 15 Firefighters from three agencies (Grays Harbor Fire District 5, Elma Volunteer Fire Department, and Grays Harbor Fire District 1), we were able to contain the fire to the building of origin after laying 1500 feet of wildland hose on an uphill slope and have knockdown of the fire. 

We here at Grays Harbor Fire District 5 want to thank our mutual aid partners (Elma Volunteer Fire Department and Grays Harbor Fire District 1) for their response and assistance.  With their assistance, this fire was contained from becoming a wildfire in a high-risk fire danger season.